:::
Lu-ju Wu-fu Temple
Lu-ju Wu-fu Temple

Location: Sen-ting Road, Lung-tan Shiang

Year of construction: Siang-hsien Gu, a student of the Imperial Academy during the Ching Dynasty, and his fellow students raised funds to construct this pavilion in the first year of Emperor Guang-shi’s reign(1875). They built it to remind people to respect literature and the effort represented by the written word, and in appreciation of Chiang-je's contribution to the creation of the Chinese written language, and its role to human progress.

Getting there: Board the Jhongli Express Bus in Jhongli and alight at Lung-tan Main Station, then walk along Sen-ji Pavilion Road for about 2 minutes and you will arrive.

Information for visitors: Sen-ji Pavilion is open to the general public. There is no time restriction for visits. Visitors are required to maintain the environment and not create fire hazards. Please do not damage the objects here.

The Sen-ji Pavilion that we see is the result of a 1925 renovation effort. It is the largest and most complete pavilion of its type in Taiwan. The pavilion compound is laid out in a centralized parallel plan. The buildings include the pavilion itself, the central gate, and the main gate. The entire space is designed in a well-organized manner. The central gate consists of a cloud-wall and 八-shaped gate, with an elegant shape that conveys a feeling of gentility. The stone columns on both sides add a feeling of stability and visual gratification to the space. The overall effect beautifully illustrates the craftsman's dedication and sincerity.

The pavilion is the essence of the entire building; it can be divided into the foundation and the pavilion itself. The foundation is a square and two-tier structure made of rounded stones. The dragon-shaped stone carvings, which grace the four sides of the foundation, are unusual treasures. The spectacular shapes and the abalone carvings demonstrate superb artisan’s skills as well as the influence of eastern & western cultures. The pavilion itself is a three-story structure made of stones, and hosts an oblation furnace for people to burn paper money. The inscription "Ji-tu-yu-shu’(literally translated as ‘XXX spits jade books’) on the bottom level is finely crafted with an elegant shape. The middle level sports the opening of the furnace. The Chinese couplets on the furnace remind people to respect words so as to promote literature. On the top are two dragons embracing the tablet of Sen-ji (literally translated as ‘Holy Relic’). A calabash decorates the roof. The various levels of the pavilion are designed in different ways, but together constitute a perfect, balanced whole. This pavilion is a wonderful representation of the concept expressed in the saying, " Partials contain their totality, totality evidences its parts ".

Lung-tan’s Sen-ji Pavilion is a thoughtfully executed, scenic outdoor area for worship. Its layout and construction style evoke feelings of simplicity and spirituality. As such, this pavilion functions as an important historical site for the respect of literature. Unfortunately, a portion of the garden was eliminated due to the widening of roads in recent years (over the protests of many local residents) resulting in the pavilion's situation right next to the road.