Lien-tso (literally translated as Lotus Holder)
Mt. stands tall in Da-han Creek. This mountain
resembles a lotus. In the 6th year of Emperor
Jia-chin Emperor (1801), a Cantonese, Fan-shi
Chung, built Guan-yin Temple here on his own.
This temple worshipped the Goddess of Mercy, Founding
Buddha, and San-guan Emperors. In the 15th year
of Emperor Dao-guang (1835), Chung and other pilgrims
raised funds to repair this temple. Then the public
figures of Da-shi raised funds again to repair
the entire building and built the ceremonial hall
in the 37th year of Meiji (1904). This temple
underwent another major renovation in the 14th
year of Daisho (1925). In the 9th year of Showa
(1934), the ceremonial hall was renovated.
This temple wasn't built in a straightforward
manner due to the land shape. The main building
has five gates and a hall. The roof is made in
a three-river style. In front of the main hall
is the ceremonial hall. This arrangement makes
Guan-yin Temple unique. There are a number of
decorations on the roof. Inside the building is
an 8-diagram well. The clay carvings in the temple
look vivid and alive. The wood carving, stone
carving, and the paintings look plain, yet reminds
people of the ancient elegance.
There is a Jin-shen (literally
translated as Respect for Sage) Pavilion called
Kwei-shin Tower to the right of this temple.
This tower was built in the 11th year of Showa
(1936). King Wen-chu-shin is worshipped inside
this temple. Kwei-shin Tower is a 3-story pavilion
made of bricks. You can find Chinese couplets
on the upper and middle levels. The carvings
of tigers and dragons on the pavilion look vivid.
The clay carvings and sculptures were delicately
made. Guan-yin Temple was built due to its superior
feng-shi condition. A number of scholars and
poets composed poems here. This temple is listed
in the eight major sightseeing spots of Da-shi,
and is the religious center for Hakka living
Taoyuan Hsien, Hsinchu Hsien, and Miaoli Hsien.
This temple observes the birthday of the Goddess
of Mercy on February 20 of the Chinese lunar
calendar. Pilgrims visit here all year around.