Guan-yin Temple is located on
the border between Taoyuan and Taipei Counties.
The scenery is superb. According to legend, there
was a master monk named Ding-kuo Deng who went
to Chiao-yin Temple on Pu-tuo Mountain to obtain
the statue of the Guanyin Bodhisattva to bring
to Taiwan in the 7th year of the reign of Emperor
Chine-lung (1742). While taking a nap under the
Banyan tree near the preset-day location of the
temple, he saw the Guanyin Bodhisattva in his
dream, so he placed the statue here. Then pilgrim
Chi-lung Chang spent his own money to erect San-chao
(literally translated as 'three straws') Temple
in the 28th year of Emperor Chien-lung's reign
(1763) in appreciation for the Buddha's assistance
in the safe delivery of his wife's baby.
Countless pilgrims have visited this temple since.
In the 58th year of Emperor Chien-lung's reign
(1793), the Commander of the Fukien Navy and Taiwanese
army headed south to conquer rebels. When he passed
by this temple, he promised the god to reconstruct
the temple. Two years later, after he had accomplished
his task, he summoned local public figures to
rebuild the temple. The reconstruction was completed
in the 2nd year of the reign of Emperor Jia-ching
(1797). The temple was renamed Sho-shan-yen (roughly
translated as 'Rock of Longevity Mountain'). The
tablet Chi-han-guan-ji (roughly translated as
'Universal Voyage of Compassion') donated by the
Commander, has hung in the temple for the past
Guan Yin Temple occupies a huge area, and is
one of most important temples in northern Taiwan.
There is an empty area and pond in front of the
temple. Behind it are a garden and woods. The
scenery is superb. There are two major structures
- Guan-yin Hall in the front and Ling-shiao Hall
in the back. Guan-yin Hall was rebuilt in 1916
and renovated in 1963. The drum tower, main entrance,
east hall, and west hall were built in the same
year. The building has five rooms in the front.
All carvings were executed in a highly skilled,
professional manner. It is designated as a Class
Three Historical Site. Ling-shiao Hall, built
in 1986, houses the Supreme Emperor of Heaven
and Emperor San-guan. The architecture is magnificent.
The panoramic view of the surrounding environs
of Guei-shan is marvelous.
This temple hosts a number of activities annually,
including the Chinese New Year ceremony on January
1st (all dates according to the Chinese lunar
calendar), the Lantern Festival together with
Guess-a-riddle on January 11th, celebrations in
connection with the birthday of the Heavenly Emperor
and the prayer for turtles on January 15th, Guanyin
Bodhisattva Enlightenment Ritual on June 19th,
and the ghost-month celebration on July 15th held
by villagers of Wu-da-keng.
Visitors are welcome to participate in these activities.