Chi-lung Shieh, a prominent figure
in the Hakka community in the early years of Emperor
Chien-lung's reign, developed Taoyuan City. The
city was originally¡@known as Fu-mou Village.
Later on, immigrants planted peach trees here,
and changed the name to Tao-tzu-yuan (literally
translated as Peach Tree Garden). Commerce prospered
over time, and more and more shops were established
here; by the 30th year of Emperor Chien-lung's
reign (1765), Taoyuan was a thriving commercial
region. But the area and its people suffered considerably
from the plague which spread during the Emperor
Jia-ching's reign.. So Chi-lung Shieh suggested
erecting a temple. Shieh donated land amounting
to 20 jia (1 jia is equivalent to 0.97 hectares)
for this purpose. Citizens donated cash to aid
the construction effort. Shieh and his people
selected the current location for the temple in
the 16th year of Emperor Jia-ching's reign (1811).
The temple houses King Kai-jian and Marshall Shien-tan
, and was named Jin-fu Temple. It soon became
the focus of religious life in Taoyuan City.
There was a severe drought in Taoyuan in the
7th year of Emperor Sieh-feng's reign (1857).
Tamsui Magistrate Huang Shih went to Jin-fu temple
to implore the gods to send rain, which immediately
started falling! Jin-fu Temple's power thereby
became known to people in all walks of life. The
temple was rebuilt in the 12th year of Daisho
(1923) as part of a general reconstruction of
the city area. It underwent partial reconstruction
in 1961, and again in1985, before assuming its
The temple consists of 2 main buildings with
9 rooms in the front. King Dai-jian and Marshall
Shieh-tan are worshipped in the main hall. The
Goddess of Mercy and the Heavenly Mother are worshiped
on either side. The Goddess of Golden Mother and
Goddess of Birth are worshipped in the halls to
the east and west of the central dais. The decorations
are beautiful. Tablets crafted during the reign
of Emperor Jia-ching are well preserved here.
In front of the temple is an open space. You can
see trees and flowers on both sides of the courtyard.
The temple faces the railway station in the distance,
and is an important landmark in Taoyuan City.
Ever since its foundation, the temple has sponsored
rituals for pilgrims during the second year of
every 12-year cycle, which is designated the Year
of the Ox according to Chinese astrology. The
rituals last for 5 days; pilgrims thank the gods
and pray for happiness in a celebration of historical
import. On January 17th of the Chinese lunar year,
pilgrims proceed to the Jen-ho Temple of Da-shi
or Wu-fu Temple of Nan-kang to worship gods and
pray for a good harvest and happiness.
Jen-ho Temple is the earliest Kai-jian Temple
in Taoyuan. Wu-fu Temple was the first temple
in history to bless Taoyuan. Pilgrimages signify
remembrance of the gods' blessings. After offerings
of incense, the gods' statues are paraded through
the streets on their way home. Flags and drums
join the parade together with lion dancing and
dragon dancing troupes in a fabulous celebration.
King Kai-jian's birthday falls on February 15th.
The clans and associations in Taoyuan, Lu-ju,
and Ba-de present an opera performance to celebrate
this occasion. Tens of thousands of pilgrims gather
here to pay their respect to the gods. The celebration
lasts until early March.. "Grand Worship
in Taoyuan" is a great celebration for Jin-fu